Casseroles in general are something I love, especially fully self contained ones because I really *hate* having to come up with side dishes, which is particularly difficult since I dislike many cooked vegetables. Although a side-salad would definitely not be amiss with this dish, I wanted cheesy carb-y comfort food remember?
So here's the recipe I came up with for dinner, and it was totally delicious. I split the mixture up into half so I could bake half tonight and then freeze the other half for a weeknight sometime later when I need a quick easy meal I can toss in the oven.
Cheesy Sausage and Broccoli Quinoa Bake
- 1.5 cups of uncooked quinoa (about 3 cups cooked)
- 2 heads of broccoli crowns, dice the florets, discard stem
- 1 lb of turkey sausage, browned and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP all purpose flour
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TSP curry powder
- 1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
2. Bring water in a pot to boil and add in broccoli. Boil for 5 minutes or until broccoli is a little softened. Drain broccoli and mix in with the quinoa.
3. Add the 2 TBSP of butter to a heated pan and allow to melt. Add in the onion and garlic. Saute for a minute then add the flour, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. Mix well.
4. Combine the canned soup and milk together in a small bowl, and add to the mixture in the pan. Mix well and once the soup has thinned out, slowly add in the cup of cheddar cheese allowing it to melt into the sauce.
5. Once all of the cheese has been added and melted pour the sauce mixture over top of the quinoa and broccoli. Add in the chopped sausage and mix well to make sure the quinoa mixture is well coated with the sauce.
6. I divided up the mixture at this point in half to freeze half and bake half.
7. Put quinoa mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle extra cheese on top. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
Enjoy the cheesy goodness!!