Note: These muffins call for a little bit of honey, which is high on the allergen list for infants. So if you haven't tested out honey previously, you may want to leave it out of this recipe!
Banana Oat Muffins
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1/2 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 1/2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 2 TSP baking powder
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and brown sugar. Add in the yogurt, milk, applesauce, honey, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Mash the bananas until there are no chunks left and stir in the mashed bananas with the yogurt and milk mixture.
- In another medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oats.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix or the muffins become more dense.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin cups and fill almost to the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 13-15 minutes.
These muffins turn out nice and fluffy and they make an excellent breakfast choice with the oats, banana, applesauce, and greek youghurt for a bit of protein. These muffins freeze great and are totally boy-o approved!