Saturday, November 2, 2013

MOVE-ember : The exercising begins!

I finally did it. After 16 months or so, I finally exercised again! REAL exercise, not just a power walk with the stroller. I did a 30 minute workout to Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown this morning before heading to work. I managed to finish it, but I certainly had to "cheat" a few times. At the end of it I was not a pretty sight--but I did it! The boy-o was getting pretty cranky by the end with watching mommy for that long without getting any cuddles, but I'm hoping it's something we can make a regular habit of doing.

I have such a love-hate relationship with exercise... I enjoy the extra energy it ends up providing in the long run, but I get so defeated looking at the scales because I have always lost weight veeeeery slowly. I have a pretty muscular build so I tend to tone up fairly quickly but the number on the scale never seems to change much. I know it's better to watch inches than pounds, but it's losing the pounds that provides me with the most satisfaction. I've joined several gyms in the past and after 3-4 months I tend to lose interest because despite making a regular habit of going, I don't get the results to keep me motivated. The same thing goes for exercising at home--I have several intense work-out videos and I'll stick to them really well for a few months, and then lose inspiration because the pounds still aren't shifting!

I've done the body fat percentage test that some gyms offer so I know that it's much higher than it needs to be/should be, but it seems like no matter what I do I can't get it to budge. (and yes I've had my thyroid tested!)

I'm now currently the heaviest I've ever been thanks to the extra baby weight, and I just pray that I'll be able to at least get back down to where I was before--which is still too heavy, but at least I'd be able to wear my regular clothes again and see what I can do from there. But it's a daunting task because I've tried so many times in the past without success.

I'd like to try and convince myself that whether the pounds come off or not it's more important to live a healthier lifestyle in general, which includes more exercise and better eating habits--but I know that as a results driven person, that if I don't get the results I'll end up giving up again.

How do you stay focused and committed to living a healthier lifestyle??
What are some of your exercising tips for a busy mum on the go?

6 comments:

  1. One thing I did on Tuesday. Go some place different and take picture..sort of walking photo journal.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I find it easier to make excuses than exercise! However, I am on a Move-ember workout routine too! Here we go! And good luck to you! You can do it! I do workouts at home too, and try to use different DVDs as recommended by friends. I also don't love running, but I run b/c it's a good workout I can do for about 30 mins when my husband is around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Week one has been a rocky start, but I'm determined to stick to it anyway!! What are your favourite work-out DVDs? I like the Yoga Meltdown and 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels. And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  3. Whatever you do make it fun. I have joined Jazzersize and they have daycare for kids at the class I take. I get an opportunity to chat with other women and take care of my health at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cheering you on! (And hoping to get some motivation to,move myself!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Week one was a little rocky for me, how did you make out?

      Delete