Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Homemade Sensory Toys, Part II: Sensory Bottles

In my last post I showed you how to make Sensory Bags and talked a little bit about why sensory toys are so important, and how easy they are to make at home. Another really fun and easy sensory toy to make at home is a sensory bottle.





Sensory Bottles:

These sensory bottles are all about colour and shaking fun! After you fill the bottle up with water you can add any colour of food colouring you like to make a rainbow collection of them. Plastic pop bottles or water bottles don't work very well for these, you want a hard sturdy bottle like the Vitamin Water or small Gatorade bottles. Like the bags, please check the toy before each use to make sure the cap is firmly attached still! And perhaps the best part about these bottles is that since the lid is just taped on, you can undo it and re-fill the bottle with new and different things when it starts to get boring for your little one. You can change the colour of the food colouring and the sensory items you've put inside.
 
Materials:
- as many bottles as desired with their lids, washed
- water
- food colouring
- cooking oil (any kind will do!)
- sensory items (glitter, marbles, mini dinosaurs etc!)
- coloured duct tape
 
Instructions:
- fill up a bottle about 2/3 full of water
- add in a little bit of oil, just enough to make some bubbles (you can add this to some, and leave it out for others)
- add in enough food colouring drops to achieve desired colour (hint: don't make it too dark or it will be hard to see the sensory items inside!)
- add in sensory items
- screw lid on tightly
- wrap lid with duct tape to make sure it stays on securely!
 
 
Green and Yellow Sensory bottles
One with marbles and glitter, one with mini dinosaurs

10 comments:

  1. Your bottles look so much better than mine! Jealous lady all the way across the Atlantic...!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bottles are lovely!! I like the pompom one!

      Delete
  2. what fun! I'll have to share this with the parents in my network!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. So simple and clever. I'll definitely be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sara. I love these bottles because they're simple and so versatile--you can put just about anything inside them!

      Delete
  4. I want to make one of these for myself, and I'm 19! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be lying if I said I didn't play with them all the time....

      Delete
  5. This is such a cool idea! I am so going to tell about it to the special ed teachers here. It's cheap and something they can do on their own. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's a great learning tool, and depending on the kids functioning level, they could even help make the bags.

      Delete