Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's Chilly, Time for Chili!

Chili is one of my all time favourite things to make when the weather starts to get cooler. It's easy, it's healthy, and I can make a huge batch in my crockpot and freeze some for quick meals later. Chili is a very personal food, and I know a lot of people are very particular about their chili recipes. I learned how to make chili from my mom who used to make it fairly often when I was growing up. I've taken her recipe as a base and adjusted it to make it my own. Chili is also a great way to use up some of the random veggies you  might have kicking around your fridge.

 

Crockpot Chili:

Ingredients:

1 lb of ground meat (we usually use Turkey)
2 tbs garlic powder
1 or 2 large green peppers, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
1 handful of shredded carrots
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Vegetable Garden beans
1 can brown beans in tomato sauce
1 packet chili powder
1/2 can or bottle of beer (You can use water instead if you prefer, it just adds some liquid to the chili)


Directions:

1. Brown ground meat in a skillet and drain extra fat and liquid. Sprinkle garlic powder over meat.
2. Add ground meat to the crockpot and then add everything else, adding the beer last.
3. Mix together well to combine ingredients together.
4. Cook on low in crockpot for 6 hours.


Once the chili is ready I love to sprinkle some cheese on top! I usually add a little parmesan and then some grated cheese as well. My hubby loves to eat his chili with some nacho dips to dip in it. I really like pairing my Zucchini and Cheese Damper with my chili! There's something super satisfying of really dense bread with a hearty meal like chili.


One of my ultimate favourite ways of eating up leftover chili is to make it into chili nachos! To make chili nachos cover your plate with a generous amount of nacho chips. Sprinkle re-heated chili over chips. Add salsa, grated cheese and jalapenos. Microwave for a minute or so to melt cheese. Remove from microwave and add some sour cream. Enjoy! (You might need to eat them with a fork!)


6 comments:

  1. Chili is one the reasons why I absolutely LOVE the fall. I am always on the lookout for a new twist on one of my faves - I will definitely give this a try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Chili is definitely one of my go-to foods. If you try it out let me know how you like it compared to other recipes you've tried. I used to add mushrooms to it as well, but hubby doesn't like them!

      Delete
  2. Thank you - I love chili I am always looking for new recipes. I will definitely try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's definitely a family favourite. :)

      Delete
  3. Weirdly chilli is one thing I always get from a jar! Don't do that with anything else, so will maybe have to give this a go! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You've gotta cut that out and try making your own! It's soooo easy and tastes so much better. You can use any kind of ground meat you want (beef, turkey or chicken) and change around the veggies to suit your tastes. Let me know how you get on with it if you give it a try! xx

      Delete